Tuesday 3 April 2012

So This Is What We Do For Fun... Part I

It rained today, all day. And while I do realize that, yes, this is the first rain we have seen in two full weeks of clear skies and sunshine, I still feel warranted in my complaints. It has also provided me with some inspiration to share with you some of the fun we've been having now that Wellington is home.

A few weeks back, Kevin and I went to a Wellington Phoenix footie (or soccer, or football) game. Up to this point, Wellington has reminded me a lot of Vancouver, or San Fran. But it wasn't until I attended a sporting event did I realize how small this city really is. The Canucks are averaging 19000 fans in attendance per game this year. The Lions, 28600. The Whitecaps, 20800. In a city that takes sports pretty seriously (and by sports I mean rugby, soccer, and cricket), I came to terms that we are living in a pretty darn small city when there were less than 7500 people in attendance at the game. I'm sure that when the All Blacks come to town, there will be a much bigger turn-out, but... really? 7500? That's cute.

In their defence, we were sitting on the more crowded side of the stadium than these photos depict... Oh, and we won! 



After Kevin's knee surgery last year, he started actively swimming at the Y. Then he became acquainted with  Chris, one half of one of the most wonderful twosomes that exist (ILU Jen!). The story goes, boy meets boy, both boys like sports, boys play sports together all the time. Chris is a triathlete and has a pool in his apartment, and the two boys spent many a man-date splish-splashing around together. Once we got settled in Welly, we learned that a) memberships to the pool are quite pricey here, b) EVERYONE in Wellington is pretty much a triathlete, and c) the ocean is right at our doorstep. So Kevin thought it wise to invest in a wetsuit instead of a pool membership. And by wetsuit, I clearly mean batman suit. I haven't partaken in this activity (Chris, Kevin is very lonely in the water without you), but I am more than happy to come down to the beach, read a book, soak in the rays, and snap some photos of very own Bruce Wayne.



Speaking of water sports, considering we live a mere 2 km away from the best surf spot in town, we saw it only fitting that we give it a whirl. Since neither of us had ever tried surfing before, we (more, I) thought it wise we take surf lessons for the first go. It goes without saying that Kevin was a natural, as he is at every sport he does, and stood up on his first try. I, on the other hand, needed a bit more practice, but was able stand consistently after my 6th or 7th shot.









And we're hooked! *Sigh*, yet another expensive activity to invest in. How many toys is too many toys? Stay tuned for Part II, for more fun things that we do here in Aotearoa, or more commonly known as, the country of "the long white cloud". Cheerio!

1 comment:

  1. At least you got up! I almost threw up in the ocean when I tried surfing. And why did they build such a big stadium if there's so few people?!

    ReplyDelete